Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Lesson from the Dove

I noticed the dove on the front lawn one morning after a night of intermittent thunderstorms. Fully aware of my approach, she regarded me, cocking her head from side to side, her small black eyes fixed on me. As I drew closer I saw beneath her outstretched wings two small balls of grey fluff, streaked with white. Two more lay nearby--the rise and fall of the little birds’ bodies evidence that they were newly hatched and very much alive. Suddenly, the dove flew off, a low flight, with wings flapping awkwardly, appearing, it seemed, to abandon the young birds. Minutes later she was perched on the palm tree above. It was then I saw the nest of twigs and leaves. From above, she watched, looking down upon her small offspring, waiting to use whatever defense she could employ to protect them.

A dove will hover over her young, protecting them from danger, leading away prey with a pretense of a broken wing, watching from her nest above, preparing to swoop down upon any predator, until the young have gathered strength enough to fly. It may be days before the tiny doves can lift their wings and find freedom in the skies. The dove responds intuitively, without hesitation to her role. Both nurturing and protecting, there is this simplistic but powerful submission to her place in God’s creation.

There are, perhaps, lessons from the morning dove, which are applicable in our lives as mothers and teachers. Do we submit to our stewardships with such vigilance and care? Do we recognize the dangers that may befall our family because we allow ourselves a higher view from our own personal scripture study, prayers and temple attendance? Are we courageous enough to resist what is simply not holy or even eternally meaningful? Elder M. Russell Ballard has said, “Satan knows that the surest and most effective way to disrupt the Lord’s work is to diminish the effectiveness of the family and the sanctity of the home.” Conversely, our Savior knows the surest and most effective way to bring each of His Father’s children to an eternal home. “It is our sacred responsibility as parents and leaders of this rising generation of children to bring them to the Savior so that they might see His face and the face of our Father in Heaven as well,” Sister Cheryl C. Lant wrote, “As we do so, we also bring ourselves.”

There have been times when my heart has been outstretched like the wings of the dove, where I have watched and waited patiently, hopefully, both nurturing and protecting in the Lord's way. At times it has come at great personal sacrifice, but as I have watched and waited for my children to gain strength in their own testimonies, I have come to understand that this is what God is asking of me, often without fanfare, without recognition, without affirmation from the world. The effort will have been worth it if, I might some day, with my children, see the face of the Savior and together we find our way Home.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you invited me to read your thoughts. I believe I will read your blog often, but doubt that I will comment much. Just know I am out here listening. I do not like to write, primarily I think, because I prefer my actual thoughts to the way they sound when I try to put them into words. Does that make sense. You are a good person! Love, Jeanette

    ReplyDelete